<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://vivianbishop.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
VivianBishopxo: Wedding Wednesday: Wedding Debt?

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wedding Wednesday: Wedding Debt?

If there's one thing I love it's talking about our wedding and married life. When we were planning our wedding, I knew that no matter what we would not go into debt for our wedding. If that meant cutting the budget, food, flowers, then we would do so.

wedding and debt

I was scrolling through my Facebook feed when I saw a girl I knew from school post that they just got approved for a 20,000 loan for their wedding. It made me wonder how many people do this...

A wedding to me is about getting married to your best friend and about celebrating with your loved ones. I think that people forget that this one day will only last about five hours and then its done. Of course you want it to be beautiful, but it should be beautiful to you and your spouse. If that means it has to be smaller, or less extravagant in order to fit your budget then you should feel no pressure to go outside of your means to please others.

Once you are married and the wedding is over, you quickly go back to reality and then realize that all that truly matters now is that you're married to the one that you love. I feel that if we would have taken out a loan for our wedding, I would have knots in my stomach right about now. I have student loans to still pay off, we now have a car loan to pay for each month, and we will eventually want to buy a home.

I'm not saying that this is wrong, I'm just saying that I had no idea that people were doing this in order to make their wedding bigger or better.

How do you feel about loans for weddings? Did you take one out, or know anyone that did? Do you think it's worth it?



ToTravelandBeyond

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At February 25, 2015 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Macy V said...

I never thought about taking a loan out for our wedding, that just seems crazy to me. In the end you are spending $40,000 on a wedding with interest and such. I would rather have a house. We have been saving every month, and thankfully my parents are helping us. But in the end, we will be married and that is all that matters.

p.s. you have Facebook again?!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Meg Taylor said...

I didn't even know banks would give you loans for weddings - that's wild!! I can't imagine going into debt for a wedding. I mean, yes, you want it to be beautiful and have fantastic memories, but like you said, it's only one day. Thanks for linking up with us this week.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 9:38 AM , Blogger rachael gilley said...

I wanted to stand up and applaud this post! I understand the desire for a beautiful wedding (and a lot of magazines really push that image on us all), but it's about starting your life with the person of your dreams! I'm a firm believer that if you want it, you can find a way, but I don't think I would ever take the route of a wedding loan. Great post!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Elizabeth McMullen said...

The wedding that Beardy and I met at was all because of a loan. We knew we didn't want to do that, but in the end, we did have to borrow money from my grandparents and we have been paying them back instead of the bank. Our wedding was just over 6,000 and because I was only working part time, we had to ask for some money from family...I would have never taken a loan out from a bank. We were trying to make it work with what we have but it was just not working as well as I would have hoped...great post!! I don't think it's a good omen starting a new life with such a huge cloud over you and your new spouse.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Kristyn said...

I didn't even know taking out a loan for your wedding was a thing! We didn't go into debt for our wedding (we already had debt and didn't want to add to it). It was about us starting our lives together and becoming married - not going into debt.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Becca said...

NOOO, I don't think I could ever. I would sooner elope!!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

A $20,000 loan for a wedding??? That blows my mind!! Never in a million years would we have taken out a loan. We kept our budget super tight because we didn't want to go into debt over our wedding- and I'm so glad we did!

 
At February 25, 2015 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Wow! I never even considered that. We were lucky to have my parents help us quite a bit and I was able to pinch some pennies here and there.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Jacquelyn @ Due South said...

Why is this girl posting how much her wedding costs on Facebook?! Haha but anyway, I would never take out a loan for a wedding. There are soo many ways to save money and have a beautiful wedding on a small budget.

 
At February 25, 2015 at 2:13 PM , Blogger M Writes said...

I'm with you on this one. I'm currently planning my wedding and my main goal is to not spend too much. I mean, there are other things that I would rather spend my money! I seriously just want to get married, I don't care if my wedding is not "perfect" because the fact that I get to marry my fiancé will make this dayperfect to me :)

 
At February 26, 2015 at 8:17 AM , Blogger The Girl who Loved to Write said...

The thought of going into debt over a single day made me feel sick, so we only paid for things we could afford. I didn't want to start our marriage off in debt over a party!

 

Post a Comment

I love reading and responding to each person who takes the time to comment. I typically respond to all comments via email! If you have something else you would like to chat about you can email me: vivianstone12@gmail.com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home